The way art and culture of the middle Ages
Each cultural epoch has its own peculiar only to her philosophy and understanding of nature and society, time and space, the order of the universe, the relations of people in…

Continue reading →

The most mysterious and mystical places on the planet
In addition to the beautiful places in the world there are many mysterious and sometimes even mystical objects. Such places is the subject of intense study archaeologists and scientists. But…

Continue reading →


1 2 3 10

The stained glass Windows of Gothic churches

STAINED glass — painting or ornamental composition, made of colored glass (or other light transmissive material), glass painted window, door, in the form of individual panels.

This is a special kind of decorative art, acquiring huge expressiveness in combination with other fine arts, especially architecture.

In fact, stained glass is a mosaic: pieces of colored glass of various shapes and textures, United in various ways, create an expressive composition. Stained glass as a versatile piece of decor is easy and elegant fit into the interior of virtually any style, from solemn classical to the laconic minimalism. Stained glass can make a bright and decisive emphasis to the color ensemble of the interior. Sunlight through stained glass, creates an amazing effect, the unique play of light, which never tire.

The glass surface can be gladkoi or ofakturennogo. Stained glass, usually used for filling window and door openings, skylights and niches, is a special kind of monumental and decorative art and is closely linked to the architecture of the building and interior. Continue reading

Ancient and new buildings in historic sections of cities

As shown in the previous Chapter, many groups over the centuries, changing, replenishing with new facilities and acquired new aesthetic qualities. In addition, each era was created in the historical cities of their ensembles, which often evolved into a single art system with ancient ensembles. All of this suggests that today it is possible and often necessary new construction that complements the historic town of new ensembles or even individual incorporating modern facilities into the existing ensemble construction.

But we must bear in mind that today the blend of old and new becomes a problem many times more complex than before. This is due to the changing scale and technology of new construction, with the necessity of solving a number of complex engineering and social issues with the advent of an entirely new stage in the development of urban culture in the broadest sense of the word. So today it is particularly important that the introduction of the new building in the old city was carried out with great tact and skill, with preliminary thorough study of the historical principles of the buildings of the old town and only in those cases when it is possible to prove the need for such new construction. Continue reading

The Republic Square

The Republic Square is just couple of minutes walk away, there are the famous Powder tower, Municipal house and the largest shopping centres “palladium” and “Kotva”.

Powder gate – the gate stood already in the 13th century, it was one of 13 entrances to the Old city. In 1475 the cornerstone of the new tower was laid by king Vladislav Jagiellonian. Gate as a gift from the city authorities, in honor of the coronation was erected by the eminent architect Matej Rejsek on the model of the old town bridge tower built a century earlier by the famous architect Peter Phalerum. The priority was not the guard gate features, and a refined decoration of the facade as a relief of worthy additions to the architecture of the neighboring Royal court. After 8 years, when the king was forced to flee the city, up in arms, the construction was suspended. After returning to Prague, the king settled for more security at Prague castle. Its current name it received in the 17th century, when it served as a gunpowder warehouse. Sculpture, badly damaged during the Prussian occupation of Prague in 1757, and in most suspended, were restored during the reconstruction of the gate in 1876. Continue reading

1 2 3 10