The Republic Square is just couple of minutes walk away, there are the famous Powder tower, Municipal house and the largest shopping centres “palladium” and “Kotva”.
Powder gate – the gate stood already in the 13th century, it was one of 13 entrances to the Old city. In 1475 the cornerstone of the new tower was laid by king Vladislav Jagiellonian. Gate as a gift from the city authorities, in honor of the coronation was erected by the eminent architect Matej Rejsek on the model of the old town bridge tower built a century earlier by the famous architect Peter Phalerum. The priority was not the guard gate features, and a refined decoration of the facade as a relief of worthy additions to the architecture of the neighboring Royal court. After 8 years, when the king was forced to flee the city, up in arms, the construction was suspended. After returning to Prague, the king settled for more security at Prague castle. Its current name it received in the 17th century, when it served as a gunpowder warehouse. Sculpture, badly damaged during the Prussian occupation of Prague in 1757, and in most suspended, were restored during the reconstruction of the gate in 1876. Continue reading
In some architectural schools (e.g. in England) the number of ribs was great, the builders gave extra rib, so-called lierne, tierceron.
Gothic cross in the arch loads are applied does not on the whole circumference, but only in those places, where the diagonal and axial ribs. This is effective not only to Central but to the side naves. In fact, in the Gothic cathedrals of the wall between the pylons are eliminated and replaced with vast window openings. In this framing system, the places of application of force and a reference point was supposed to strengthen. In this regard, acquire a special role of the buttresses for greater stability which they gave stepped.
In Gothic architecture appear the so-called flying buttresses, which were a crucial element in the overall system balance of the building. The flying buttresses — protivozastojnye elements, “sloping” of the arch (the arch), a fifth adjacent to the base of the vault of the main nave, and the other resting against a massive pillar standing in a row of others on the line of the exterior walls of the building. Continue reading
In the past two years by an expedition of the Chelyabinsk scientific center, there were works on the study of megalithic structures found near lake Turgoyak, North of Miass, Chelyabinsk region. In 2003, the island was visited by the expedition of S. A. Grigorieva, N. M. Menshenina and M. S. Arkanov, which made the conclusion about the antiquity of this monument and made his initial description and documentation . In the summer and autumn of 2004 on the island worked expedition of the Chelyabinsk scientific center of UB RAS under the guidance of the authors of this article. In this paper we will not dwell on the description of detected objects given in the above
The field season of 2004 was made on the largest megalithic structure No. 1. This work made significant changes in our ideas about this monument, formed on the basis of the previous studies. So it was assumed that recorded in the southern part of the deepening and associated Windows have been made by believers in the reuse of the monument . However, the discovery of the wall in one of the indentations suggested that indentations are the result of the collapse of the floors, and there are cameras that collapsed in antiquity. Accordingly, it is possible that recorded in the southern part of the mound the Windows also belong to the original design. Continue reading