The Church of the ascension in Kolomenskoye – Moscow
The Church of the ascension in Kolomenskoye ( [show location on an interactive map] 55°40’02” N. lat. 37°40’15” e / 55.667222° n 37.670833° E. (G)55.667222, 37.670833) — one of the first stone tent churches in Russia.
Kolomenskoye, built in 1529-1532 years in the (presumably Italian architect petrocom Small) on the right Bank of the Moscow river. Churchwarden of the temple of the great Prince of Moscow Vasily III. Perhaps the temple was erected in honor of the birth of the son of the great Prince, the future Tsar Ivan the terrible.
“The brief chronicler of the Russian land” (XVI century) under the year 1532 says: “the Prince Vasilej the great built the Church of the Kamen Vnesenie of our Lord Jesus Christ up on the wooden thing.” Until investigations kavelmahera in the 1990-ies showed an earlier date of Trinity Church in Alexandrov Sloboda (1510-ies), the Church of the ascension was considered to be the first stone Church marquee in Russia.
But later date the Church of the ascension in comparison with the Trinity Church in any case does not detract from the value of Kolomna monument to Russian architecture. In this temple along with the tent wall were used pylons, which allowed to build a huge building of unprecedented proportions, with “flying” architectonics. The construction was carried out with aslihuneslihu and huge material costs. In the history of Russian architecture of the temple has remained a work, from the point of view of its formal perfection the one and only.
Church of the ascension is made in the form of centric Church-tower, its height is 62 meters. The plan represents a Greek cross. The interior of the Church is relatively small – just over 100 square meters. Around the temple there is a bunk ambulatories with three high ascending stairs. On the facades of the corners of the Church are decorated with elongated flat pilasters with capitals in the spirit of the early Renaissance. Between Renaissance pilasters made of pointed Gothic vimperg. Volume on the main cruciform Church put an octagon in the lower part is decorated with rows of large keeled arches in traditional Moscow style, and above decorated with double pilasters of the Renaissance. The temple is covered with tent with clearly defined edges.
The temple is built of brick with numerous white-stone elements.
In the Church of the ascension in Kolomenskoye, as shown by S. pod’yapol’skii, there were numerous “Renaissance” elements (orders, portals with direct architectural ceilings openings, “Renaissance” drawing Gothic visperhof, etc.). Against taking place in Kolomna temple Gothic elements (total soloartist and many elements, first of all themselves impergom) the researcher believed that Petrok Maly used them as a stylized “local” architecture, as caught in its predecessor, the old architecture of the Gothic spirit.
The gallery is a monumental throne, outside the oversight of the East wall of the Church and turned back towards the altar.
The building is part of the complex of the Museum-reserve “Kolomenskoye”.
Church of the ascension is a UNESCO World heritage site (since 1994). In late 2007, was completed restoration of the basement and the floor of the temple was opened to the public.